- Working remotely
- Managing a remote team
- Management Development - Feedback Skills
- Management Development - Developing your Team
- personal development
- team development
- leadership and management
- coaching and mentoring
- support for qualifications
- development of digital learning resources
- knowledge management/ library services.
- Nurturing our culture so that it reflects our organisational values, engaging and empowering our people.
- Developing our capability to deliver high quality outputs and continuously improve our products and services.
- Enhancing our capacity to deliver an evolving range of products and services as efficiently as possible.
- team development
- leadership and management, and
- corporate training programmes.
- Ensuring that learning and development opportunities are provided for ALL staff, as published on the Service's intranet site @SAS
- Ensuring that resources for learning and development are distributed fairly, appropriately, timely and in a cost effective manner
- Widening learning and development opportunities for staff requiring assistance with core skills, including literacy, numeracy and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills
- Meeting differing learning styles and needs of staff.
Learning and Education
Learning and Education offers staff development opportunities that range from formal qualifications to class led workshops and elearning courses. It is important that educational solutions are appropriate to the outcomes the service needs and that they provide best value to individuals and to the organisation.
Detailed in the tabs below you will find Learning & Education information in place within your Board.
National Services Scotland
Following an NSS Executive Management Team meeting, a decision has been taken to postpone all non-essential face to face events/workshops . This is in response to the on-going and fluid Coronavirus pandemic, and considerations of staff availability, concerns on limiting travel and social interaction. As such, the Corporate Induction scheduled to take place on the 6th August 2020 will not be going ahead.
Please find information below on our digital offering and other learning materials.
The Learning and Organisational Development team have developed a new range of online webinars for NSS to support our ongoing learning and development. All details, including how to enrol, can be found on HR Connect through My Board Events. Places are limited, so make sure you book your place today.
Empower yourself with the skills and tools to develop your career!
Try something new
Looking to upskill or learn something new, here's a great collection of free videos, courses and worksheets to aid your development.
Wellbeing and creativity
Never has it been more important to look after yourself and your mental health. Take some time out to relax, reflect and enjoy some virtual creativity!
The L&D team can be contacted through the Contact Us form at any time should you have any questions, or are looking for support with your learning needs.
The Learning and Professional Education Team is part of the Workforce directorate and is based in Cardonald. The team is part of the Workforce Directorate, and supports the organisation in all aspects of learning and development. This includes:
The team can be contacted by using the contact us form.
NHS Education for Scotland
Learning & development is focused on providing support for the development of skills and knowledge for individuals across the organisation.
Our priorities are:
NHS Golden Jubilee
In response to COVID-19 some face-to-face training courses are currently suspended. We are slowing bringing back some face-to-face training where it is safe to do so.
For further information on the measures we have introduced for safe face-to-face training delivery, please see the document titled 'Classroom training guidelines during Covid-19' under the employee tab below.
You can continue to access e-Learning modules via learnPro and TURAS Learn.
The Learning and Organisational Development (L&OD) team supports a wide range of learning and organisational development activity, including:
Our activities are driven by the strategic direction of the organisation and the learning needs of individuals and teams.
Our L&OD brochure details the activities available throughout the year. The most up to date classroom workshops can be accessed (when on site) via eESS Learning. Visit the eESS support site, where you can find instructions on how to use the system: https://www.eess.nhs.scot/ess/.
External Study Leave
If you are planning on attending training outwith NHS Golden Jubilee, you are required to complete an External Study Leave Form. A copy of this can be found below.
Our main e-Learning platform is "learnPro". A guide to registering with learnPro can be found below. Information on changing your learnPro password can also be found in this guide.
As an NHS Scotland employee you also have access to TURAS Learn. To find out more and register with TURAS Learn visit: https://learn.nes.nhs.scot/.
Visit our page on STAFFnet to review our team development opportunities.
Public Health Scotland
Public Health Scotland content is being designed for this page, in the interim please refer to the National Service Scotland tab for support. Alternatively, you can contact the L&D team by completing the Contact Us form.
Scottish Ambulance Service
Learning at the Scottish Ambulance Service
The Scottish Ambulance Service's commitment to Learning is described in the Scottish Ambulance Service Learning Development Policy this includes:
In this section you will find links to learning and development resources covering a wide range of topics and pathways essential for working in the Service and NHSScotland.
There is also a decision tree to assist you with determining whether funding may be available towards the learning activity from sources other than your Directorate/Region/Department.
Oversight of the Learning and Development policy is provided by the Capable Workforce Group whose purpose is to provide the forum for scoping, planning and implementing the Service’s response to the requirement set out in the Everyone Matters plans. The Group’s Terms of reference can be found here CWG TOR Version 2 November 2017.
- Classroom training guidelines during Covid_19 Golden Jubilee
- Learning and Organisational Development Annual Report Golden Jubilee
- How to Register or Transfer a learnPro Account
- Learning and Organisational Development Brochure Golden Jubilee
- Joining our Organisation Golden Jubilee
- Induction Short Guide for Staff Golden Jubilee
- External Study Leave Request Form Golden Jubilee
- Do I have to ask my managers permission before enrolling on a workshop?
All personal development should be discussed with your line manager at review time and again throughout the year when necessary. When enrolling on a workshop in eESS, your request will automatically be sent to your manager to approve or decline.
- The workshop I would like to attend does not appear on eESS?
The L&D Guide provides information on all the workshops offered, however not all will be available at the one time. eESS will have the current offerings available to staff to enrol against.
- I have requested to attend a workshop however I have not recieved joining instructions?
You will only receive joining instructions once your line manager has approved your request in eESS and there is sufficient space on the workshop.
- Am I entitled to protected learning time?
All staff are entitled to protected learning time as layed out in the Staff Governance Standard. This may differ for each staff member, depending on the training that’s been undertook:
Resources, including time and funding, are appropriately allocated to meet local training and development needs taking into account the current priorities of both the service and service users.
Discussions with staff about their learning and development needs should be discussed and agreed at PDP review meetings where both parties should be clear the level of time that is required to complete any training.