NHS Scotland is committed to offering staff a range of supportive leave processes. These include: -
Related Policy, Process and Terms and Conditions
- Annual Leave Guidance for Staff and Managers PHS
- Special Leave Policy - TSH
- Adoption and Fostering Policy TSH
- Shared Parental Leave Policy TSH
- Parental Leave Policy TSH
- Maternity Leave Policy TSH
- Maternity Support (Paternity) Leave Policy TSH
- Breastfeeding Policy TSH
- Reserve Forces Training and Mobilisation Policy SAS
- Annual Leave Protocol - Ward Based Nursing TSH
- Annual Leave Policy - SAS
- Maternity Support (Paternity) Leave Policy SAS
- Adoption and Fostering Policy SAS
- Maternity and Breastfeeding Support Policy, Paternity Policy and Adoption and Fostering, Shared Parental Leave Policy NES
- Special Leave Policy NES
- Adverse Weather Policy NES
- Parental Leave Policy NES
- Annual Leave Policy NES
- Promoting Attendance Management Policy NHS 24
- Reserve Forces Policy TSH
- Adverse Weather Policy - see below Interim National Guidance TSH
- Adverse Weather Interim National Guidance TSH
- Annual Leave Calculator - Historic Health Scotland use only
- Maternity Application Form SAS
- Annual Leave Calculator (Non Leap Year) NHS 24
- Annual Leave Calculator (Leap Year) NHS 24
- Winter Contingency Plan 2019-2020 SAS
- Annual Leave Calculator (Leap Years Only) TSH
- Annual Leave Calculator (Non-Leap Year) TSH
- Appendix A - Shared Parental Leave Flowchart - Birth TSH
- Appendix B - Shared Parental Leave Flowchart - Adoption TSH
- Appendix C - Curtailment Notice TSH
- Appendix D - Notice of Intention & Entitlement (Mother is TSH Employee) TSH
- Appendix E - Notice of Intention & Entitlement (Partner is TSH Employee) TSH
- Appendix F - Period of Leave Notice TSH
- Appendix G - Shared Parental Leave In Touch (SPLIT) Days Payment Request Form TSH
- Appendix 1 - Application for Maternity Support (Paternity) Leave TSH
- Appendix 1 - Table of Entitlements for Maternity Leave TSH
- Application for Maternity Leave TSH
- Special Leave Request Form TSH
- Parental Leave Application Form TSH
- How is my annual leave entitlement calculated?
Your annual leave entitlement is calculated based on your contracted hours and length of service with the NHS; taking into account any changes to hours or extension of contracts during the leave year.
Annual leave entitlement for Agenda for Change staff is as below (Pro-rata for part time staff)
Length of service
Annual leave + Public Holidays
202.5 + 60 hours (27 + 8 days)
After 5 years service
217.5 + 60 hours (29 + 8 days)
After 10 years service
247.5 + 60 hours (33 + 8 days)
Annual leave entitlement for staff on Medical and Dental Terms and Conditions is as below (Pro-rata for part time staff)
Annual leave + Public Holidays
30 + 10 days
- Do I need to request fixed public holidays as leave?
Yes, if a fixed public holiday for your base location falls on your working day you will need to request this as leave for your line manager to approve. Once the fixed holidays have been deducted any remaining entitlement can be requested on any date throughout the leave year. A note of the Fixed Public Holidays can be found here
- I am a line manager. How do I view my direct reports leave requests and remaining balance?
When your direct report requests leave you will be able to see their remaining entitlement on the approval email. You will also be able to view leave you have approved through the Line Manger Report screen on the app. If you require further information please contact email@example.com
- How do I cancel my leave request?
Leave can be retracted through the Annual Leave Summary page up to 24 hours before the start of the leave, please refer to the userguide for more info on this. If the leave has already been approved your line manager will need to approve the cancellation. If the leave is still pending approval this will automatically be retracted and added back into your remaining entitlement. If you need to amend a leave request that has already passed please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- I have approved carry forward that is not in my entitlement?
For the 2019/20 leave year, carry forward that was submitted on the Carry Forward returns at the end of March will be added into your entitlement from 1st April 2019.
Carry Forward has been added into your remaining leave entitlement figure, therefore this will show as your annual leave entitlement + carry forward - any leave requested.
If you have any queries regarding this please contact email@example.com
- I am new to NES. When will my leave entitlement be updated?
Once your staff engagement form has been processed through the HR and payroll system, your leave entitlement will be calculated and added onto the app. This will usually be at the end of the month you started.
- I have had a change to my contract. When will my leave entitlement be updated?
Once the change paperwork has been processed through the HR system your leave entitlement will be updated in the app. This is usually the last week of the month the change took place.
- I have more than 1 post with NES. How is my leave calculated?
If you have multiple posts with NES your leave entitlement will be split between each post. When requesting leave, you should request hours for each post in relation to your working days.
- How long do I have to work for The State Hospital to qualify for Parental Leave?
Under The State Hospital Policy, all employees will be eligible to take parental leave if they have 12 months continuous service with one of more NHS employers.
- Am I entitled to Parental Leave?
Employees will be eligible to take parental leave if:
- They have 12 months continuous service with one or more NHS employers;
- They have a nominated caring responsibility for a child under age 18;
- They notify their employer in writing three weeks in advance of the intended leave (or if this is not possible, as soon as is reasonably practicable thereafter) and include their intention to take parental leave; the date they wish to commence and return from parental leave; Provide evidence of entitlement;
- A birth certificate (or MATB1 form in the case of applications for leave around the time of birth of the child);
- Papers confirming the adoption of a child (or confirming that a child has been matched for adoption in the case of applications for leave around the time of adoption of the child);
- Papers confirming the award of disability living allowance in the case of a child with a disability.
Paid Parental Leave - must be taken before the child’s 14th birthday (or 18th birthday in the case of adoptive parents or parents of a child with a disability).
Unpaid Parental Leave - can be taken before the child's 18th birthday.
- Is Parental Leave paid leave?
Under current UK legislation parental leave is unpaid. However NHSScotland has introduced a minimum of 4 weeks paid leave for NHS employees. As a result, the NSS Parental Leave Policy gives 4 weeks paid leave and 14 weeks unpaid leave.